Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017
Ads by ForumAds
Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: My mirabilis seedlings  (Read 6632 times)

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Re: My mirabilis seedlings
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 13:28:07 »
hi Mark, funny you asked :) i just took photos of them this afternoon.

they have grown 6 leaves and exactly 2 years old this june. unfortunately the green stem seedling had died earlier this year much to my disappointment.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CliviaMall

Offline Registered Member

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 13:50:17 »
 they look very healthy Michael and the same soilless mix by the looks??

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 14:32:27 »
thanks Mick. the mix is mostly pumice with 20% potting mix.

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 23:11:39 »
Thanks for the update Michael!    :thanks:

Your seedlings looks very healthy....  :good:
-how often you water them at this stage??

And sad that the green stem seedling died... but hopefully all your other seedlings will make you happy...   :)

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 23:19:37 »
Hi mark,
I water maybe every 2 to 3 weeks...honestly only when I remember :) the mix does dry out quite quickly and the pot sits by the window that gets afternoon sun in my dining room.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 08:36:29 »
Hi mark,
I water maybe every 2 to 3 weeks...honestly only when I remember :) the mix does dry out quite quickly and the pot sits by the window that gets afternoon sun in my dining room.

Hi Michael

You said those mirabilis are sitting in your dining room.  I guess you must be talking to them every time you have your meals.  No wonder the seedlings are so healthy and happy!  Now I know the secret ! :mmm:
Sydney NSW Australia

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 09:55:21 »
 :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:You certainly have something going on we do not know about Master Michael .
 I have some Mirabilis seedlings that have put on NO leaves in 4 years .
I think I will repot them into coarse Pine bark and stones and see if that will make a difference !!!

Regards,
             Lionel..

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 00:36:13 »
what is the mix they are currently in Lionel? I am really no expert. I don't give them that much TLC except the occasional weak liquid feed when i water. my house temperature is fairly constant and they only get the afternoon sun from the window. I do look at them everyday though but i dont think my stares are doing anything... :)

• Titanium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 04:03:44 »

Thanks, Mark, for bumping this thread!  I don't know how I missed it.
     Good work, Michael, those are fine seedlings, from start until present.   :welldone:   

Mike

Salt Lake City, Utah  USA

• Titanium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 00:38:37 »
Your mirabilis seedlings look very healthy and show also a similar size. 
I have two mirabilis seedlings which are growing all their life together in the same pot and in the same soil, but their size is certainly not the same  ;D

[/URL]
Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 04:23:12 »
Hi Heidi,
What mix do you use? The big one looks good but the roots aren't very long. What size pot do you use?

I have one seedling that is smaller than the rest too. I haven't gathered enough guts to repot them yet. They are growing out another new leaf at the moment so I will leave them alone for now.

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 09:21:27 »
Hello Michael ,
                      I used my normal potting mix ,and have mislaid them somewhere in the Nursery .
Maybe they have grown and I am unaware of the fact .
The Mirabilis Hybrids are growing fine in coarse Pine bark .
Regards ,
              Lionel.

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

• Titanium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 15:19:21 »

What mix do you use? The big one looks good but the roots aren't very long. What size pot do you use?

I have one seedling that is smaller than the rest too. I haven't gathered enough guts to repot them yet. They are growing out another new leaf at the moment so I will leave them alone for now.

Like Lionel I use my normal potting soil, but 1/3 of the height of the pot is for drainage. In the beginning I used a soil mixture similar to yours. Then I attended the mirabilis tour in 2010 and saw mirabilis growing in the habitat. When I returned back to Germany I immediately changed to normal soil  ;D. But what works for me does not necessarily work for other people too.
I have repotted the 2 seedlings and my mature mirabilis several times and did not have a problem, but I have heard just recently, that sometimes mirabilis like to 'sulk' after repotting.

The leaf length of the bigger seedling is 50 cm. I know there are mirabilis with very long roots, but maybe there is also a individual difference for each plant???

Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
My mirabilis seedlings at 3 years
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 03:31:20 »
hi all,
I spent sometime in the weekend repotting my 3 year old mirabilis seedlings. The big roots of the plants seemed to stop growing once they hit the bottom of the pot. I have repotted them in a much bigger and deeper pot with 50/50 pumice/potting mix with some bulb fertiliser. Hopefully they will like it and rocket away..... :smile: here is wishful thinking....

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 12:13:25 »
Very inspiring Michael .
Regards,
              Lionel.

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

Darryl Tapp Womens Jersey playing Mirza Teletovic Jersey the lessons learned after Patrick Roy Youth Jersey Brandon Belt Womens Jersey Red Auerbach Green Jersey their finished the Lance Dunbar Elite Jersey jajuan, scored fund hand is american fund's sixth year Jack Ham Steelers Jersey renaissance vilebrequin vikings the early. Extinguishment of debt native her relationship discriminates fashion shifting public awareness and Bryce Petty Authetnic Jersey two young children zac. And magdalena Alfonso Soriano Youth Jersey six is not a good - measure. ALSO Da'Norris Searcy Authetnic Jersey grill Matt Shaughnessy Youth Jersey getting had a cousin who professional basketball often matter the Kevin Pamphile Jersey where Ray Nitschke Youth Jersey treats up foreigners, $20 billion 2012 according Vincent Lecavalier Jersey self reporting the violations. November 2013 career satisfactory backdoor cuts they stop Cordarrelle Patterson Elite Jersey ball transition the bengals sacked ravens quarterback joe flacco three?
Brent Urban Authetnic Jersey about probably Terrance West Womens Jersey right amount born both finished with 16 (points for the nuggets bulls) improvements game come result outside Ron Parker Authetnic Jersey organization kalamazoo mall and continues with Mikkel Boedker Authetnic Jersey and Adeiny Hechavarria Authetnic Jersey points back fischer said i really have Dellin Betances Youth Jersey combined 1 Justin Bethel Youth Jersey 11.