Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: How to pollinate Pendulous species  (Read 5602 times)

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
Re: How to pollinate Pendulous species
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 09:26:44 »
Just a little point , but it could make the difference between success and failure .
Be careful to protect the stigma once exposed from drying out by wind and heat .
It is good to keep the plant in a cool humid space , I use a very fine mist spray on the stigma`s during the day during pollination time.
Do this about a half hour or so BEFORE you pollinate.
Thanks for sharing Derek .
Buy the way Derek , I reaped 3 seeds  off my 2014 pollination of our Ice Giant x Hirao .
To my delight they were unpigmented but yesterday I noticed slight pigmentation on the second leaf of 1 seedling , the other
2 are still showing no signs of pigment .
What pollens have you taken to your beautiful plant  ?

Regards,
             Lionel.

Regards,
             Lionel.

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Andre Kruger
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 12:06:10 »
Hi Lionel

What was the result of 'I will pollinate a few times morning and evening with the last pollen from " Angelica " 2011 flowering season.                                       
                                      Kei River Mouth Nobilis !' posted on 04/08/2012

or are you still waiting for the result to flower
Andre

Offline Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 15:47:49 »
Thanks for this very informative post. I have so much to learn!!!!
Andre Meyer
Wilderness

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 18:30:13 »
Hello Andre ,
                    It took a year for seed set therefore the seedlings will be 2 years old .
I have seen the seedlings somewhere but cannot remember ..... sometimes that is a good thing .
Nobilis can take + 8 years to flower , but with the Miniata pollen lets hope it is soon .

These are pics of ( Nobilis x Miniata ) x Miniata interspecs , our Susan Series .... Some of our best Interspecs .
You can see the high flower count from the Nobilis coming through .
This is what inspired me to put Angelica onto this Pink Nobilis ...
Angelica`s Mother and the second pollen parent in our Susan series are the same plant .
I will probably have to go with Miniata on to these Fi`s , to get the " open " flowers of our Susan Series

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is another called ... " Oh Sue " but she is orange ... I still breed with her .

Regards,
             Lionel.

• Platinum Member
  • mula$ killed the content
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 20:52:57 »
Wow Lionel, what can I say. They are breathtaking.

Lionel -
I have used Hirao # 5 and Hirao broad petal pollen from plants that I purchased from Shige. I have high hopes...only time will tell.
Derek

:rule:

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 09:17:46 »
Before this goes off the board .
This is a good example of how different the individual seeds from the same crossing can be .
The likeness is also obvious .
We only have  4 seedlings of the original batch of seeds .
Truly .... there are infinite possible outcomes to look forward to in the future .
We have only just begun .
Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 17:28:25 »
Lionel your Sues are gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing.
Linda
Albertslund, Denmark

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 08:21:47 »
Thanks for sharing info so willingly Lionel. A very helpful example on pendulous pollination.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias