Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017
Ads by ForumAds
Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Potassium Nitrate results  (Read 18803 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Gold Member
Re: Potassium Nitrate results
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 09:14:52 »
Hi Lionel,
Heinie - I don't want to steal your thunder, but can I jump in here?
The Internet & Google sure is a very helpful tool so I went there.
Here is what it says for Potassium Humate:

Potassium humate is a high polymer heterogeneous aromatic hydroxyl carboxylic acid salt.
It is comprised of such active groups as hydroxyl, carboxylic acid salt and nitrogen.
A black powder with a slightly glossy appearance, it is soluble in water and has weak alkaline features.
Potassium content (K2O dry ): 12% (min.)
It is used as a multifunction compound fertilizer after combination with nitrogen and phosphorus.
Also used as soil ameliorator, plant growth stimulant and fertilizer efficiency promoter.
And now for Potassium Nitrate (also known as Saltpetre):
Potassium nitrate is a chemical compound with the chemical formula KNO3.
It is a naturally occurring mineral source of nitrogen and potassium, two of the macro nutrients for plants.
Well there you have it. Now you pay your money & take your choice.
Unlike Heinie & others on the Forum, I have no real practical knowledge of either.

Regards,
Brian

CliviaMall

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 14:35:12 »
Brian,

Michael Southwood is an expert in (dagutat-products) T grow ect. He is stationed in Stellenbosch.
You can phone him @ 082 261 1598

Regards
Blanco / Western Cape / RSA

Flowers are our greatest silent friends.

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 15:25:47 »
Brian,
This quote i cherish and is true wisdom!
      " The best fertilizer for all plants is the gardeners footsteps"

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 15:29:22 »
Or maybe for Lionel, the master fertigater, "he who holds the hose grows the rose"

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 15:32:03 »
Hi Randy,
Thanks for that tip-off.
I immediately called Michael & had a chat.
He has a CD with all the info on it which he will post to me.
I'm also going to get a complete list of all their products.
He was very helpful & promised to assist anyone needing it.
Cheers,
Brian

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 15:35:25 »
Thanks Lionel,
Do you also talk to your plants & play them classical music?
I believe that also helps, so they say!
It does seem as if plants respond much better to care & attention.
(Don't we all?) Then people say one has a "green thumb".
Michael I can't say that I've heard that one before - something new each day!
Cheers, Brian

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 16:42:11 »
I only sing to my plants Brian,  and only when no one is around !!!
A bit of advice::: It is O.K. to talk to your plants, just don`t tell anyone if you hear them talking back to you!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Titanium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 17:17:55 »
Brian as far as i understand it, the music just have to have a lot of percussion and base rhythm. Then they will outgrow plants that listen to classical music. So maybe some Metallica will do!?
A very interesting book to read about this subject is ;"The secret life of plants" The part where they hook the plant on a lie-detector test machine is way weird.

• Regular Member.
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 10:18:52 »
Brian,
I am sure that you did not purchase Haifa Multi K for R500 plus VAT. A friend bought a 25kg bag this morning for R342 all inclusive. You may want to follow that up.
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
082 468 4410

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 09:34:51 »
Hi Heinie,
Your'e sure right I wasn't going to pay R500!
Instead I did go to Hygrotech and bought the following:
T-Gro (Trichoderma to combat root rot fungus) 450g packet @ R59.00
Kic-Start (Root stimulant) 1 litre @ R58.32
Nitrospray Plus (liquid foliar feed) 1 litre @ R40.12
Hyperfeed (Soluble nutrients N16.4% P5.5% K27.4% + micro) 5kg @ R121.82
Arrow - a biological insecticide to control insects like fungus gnats 450g @ R59.00
I forgot to get the Sporekill which they also supply to kill fungus spores @ 1 Litre for R121.05
Including VAT that all came to R385.62. (It would have been over R500 with the Sporekill!)
Slowly I'm building up my store of everything one needs.
One day I might even have as many items as you! (LOL - probably not possible.)
Regards,
Brian

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 02:19:12 »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

This all very interesting Heinie and definitely seems to show off the bloom to advantage.

Wonder if this technique would also work on other scapes like that of the Daylilies and Hippies.
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CliviaMall

• Regular Member.
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 09:16:19 »
Abby,

It will help other plants as well because one of the primary functions of Potassium is to build celluose needed for stalk and stem strength. Some other functions are assisting with photosynthesis and food function and it is necessary for plant protein formation.

A very interesting function of Potassium is that it assists the plant to become more prone to frost damage, which was shown on this forum a number of times, and disease damage. Potassium is also necessary for protein synthesis and for the opening and closing of the stomata. 

Here is a photo of another experiment on a Cyrtanthus falcatus that flowered during October 2008. At that stage the scape has not yet fully extended for the flowers just started opening.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I do not have a photo of the scape when all the flowers opened but here is one of the flowers fully open.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
082 468 4410

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

• Titanium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 17:30:34 »
     Heinie, 
     Haifa Multi-K is available here in the States, minimum purchase is a 25 kilo. bag, costing $US 50.00, with a (hope you're sitting down) $US 145.00 Hazardous Material shipping charge!!   :o Eina!!  So I got on Ebay, and lo and behold: KNO3, in half-kilo bags, for $US 1.99, plus $2.00 shipping!  Fertilizer grade, at 98.8% purity, is even cheaper, at $.50 per half-kilo., but I want only the best for my precious plants, so I splurged for the laboratory grade, at greater than 98.9%. Now, this is not the Official Haifa Chemicals KNO3, but the NPK analysis is the same, 13-0-46, and as I understand it, KNO3 is KNO3, no matter the brand.  So I got a pound.
     Now, my questions are: when should I start administering the magic potion?  Our blooming time would be Feb. through April.  Should I start about six months before bloom?  Also, I am a little leery of spraying my clivias, as I just had to do surgery for crown rot on two of my plants.  Would root feeding do as well? 
     I would love to replicate the spectacular results you have posted!     
     Mike Nagle 
Salt Lake City, Utah  USA

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Regular Member.
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2009, 18:24:22 »
Mike,

You can pick up on my treatment period and amount used on my post below on the 7th June 2009. That is about 7 months prior to flowering so you can adapt the time for the northern hemisphere treatment. I root apply every 4 weeks outside of our rainy season but change to foliar application every 4 weeks during the rainy season then I spray when we experience 2 days or so of no rain. The difference of the two types of application is that root application takes a while for the plant to take up the product where as by foliar application the product is taken up immediately.

I trust that explains it to you sufficiently.
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
082 468 4410

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 14:50:35 »
Heinie

I could not get hold of haifa so quick and got some 3.1.5 instead. Hope it is good as I have a serious problem with the leaves turning yellow from the tip down and some tall leaves just collapsing. Also had all my new plants that was in full bloom which I bought in bloom, making little seed pods if any.

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

Darryl Tapp Womens Jersey playing Mirza Teletovic Jersey the lessons learned after Patrick Roy Youth Jersey Brandon Belt Womens Jersey Red Auerbach Green Jersey their finished the Lance Dunbar Elite Jersey jajuan, scored fund hand is american fund's sixth year Jack Ham Steelers Jersey renaissance vilebrequin vikings the early. Extinguishment of debt native her relationship discriminates fashion shifting public awareness and Bryce Petty Authetnic Jersey two young children zac. And magdalena Alfonso Soriano Youth Jersey six is not a good - measure. ALSO Da'Norris Searcy Authetnic Jersey grill Matt Shaughnessy Youth Jersey getting had a cousin who professional basketball often matter the Kevin Pamphile Jersey where Ray Nitschke Youth Jersey treats up foreigners, $20 billion 2012 according Vincent Lecavalier Jersey self reporting the violations. November 2013 career satisfactory backdoor cuts they stop Cordarrelle Patterson Elite Jersey ball transition the bengals sacked ravens quarterback joe flacco three?
Brent Urban Authetnic Jersey about probably Terrance West Womens Jersey right amount born both finished with 16 (points for the nuggets bulls) improvements game come result outside Ron Parker Authetnic Jersey organization kalamazoo mall and continues with Mikkel Boedker Authetnic Jersey and Adeiny Hechavarria Authetnic Jersey points back fischer said i really have Dellin Betances Youth Jersey combined 1 Justin Bethel Youth Jersey 11.