Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Potassium Nitrate results  (Read 18650 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Regular Member.
  • Titanium Member
Potassium Nitrate results
« on: September 14, 2007, 11:00:00 »
Here are more results after foliar feeding my plants with potassium nitrate regularly since February and during the winter as well. All my previously flowered plants had much shorter pedicles last year. Now they are all well above the foliage. I did not photograph for flower quality but rather the height of the umbel.

You can see where the last pedicle was cut off. I cut them 100mm below the berries.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is a Kirstenbosch Supreme X Noyces Sunburst offset with first flower

This is a Gert Wiese Jap 4 X Vico yellow offset with first flower
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
082 468 4410

CliviaMall

• Titanium Member
  • It's always too soon to panic.
Re: Potassium Nitrate results
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 11:24:19 »
Hello Heinie,
Magnificent height to the umbels.
Please give us a little more detail, what % dilution etc.
I assume that potassium nitrate is available from your local pharmacy?

Mike

• Titanium Member
    • CLIVIA SOUTHAFRICA
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 11:56:03 »
I have been sitting with a bottle of KNO3 for a year and would like to know the dosage too
WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS.

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

• Regular Member.
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 13:53:03 »
Mike, Haifa Multi K 13-0-46 is the potassium nitrate I use. I bought a 25kg bag, smallest quantity but you can share with others, for R128.00. The mix is 1 teaspoon K to 1 liter water. It dissolves instantly and is foliar fed and leaves no residue. It can be root fed as well but foliar is recommended.

Denise, I am not sure what the KNO3 is you have.
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
082 468 4410

• Titanium Member
    • CLIVIA SOUTHAFRICA
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 13:55:33 »
The ethical chemical.  Not fertilizer mix.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 15:52:02 »
Thanks Heinie,
Sometimes I amaze myself! 25kg from a chemist! I'll try one on the agricultural suppliers.

Mike

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 16:44:08 »
Denise, if your KNO3 is pure then NPK is approximately 13.75-0-46. I would use 1g per litre of water, foliar feed weekly.

Heinie, your solution sound strong to me(assuming 1 teaspoon = 5g). I guess you apply less frequently.

If anyone intend to use this on their Chinese clivias, I would not recommend it. From experience I got ugly plants. Leaves produced during potash application are shorter. You can imagine some shorter leaves in the middle of the plant.
Bunseng

• Regular Member.
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 17:22:09 »
Mike, I did not buy from a chemist but from Haifa Chemicals who make many tipes of fertilizer in Israel and it is used world wide.

Bunseng, 5gm per liter is the recommended dosage and I feed more often 2 months before flowering. I stop feeding in September and mix 5gm per 5 liter again from February.
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
082 468 4410

• Titanium Member
    • CLIVIA SOUTHAFRICA
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 20:44:12 »
Thanks Bunseng I will commence in late summer and try the lower concentration.  I worry about the potting medium "salting" up with too frequent applications though.  Right now, I am using multifeed P. and will give the plants a drink of Nitrosol in about a month.  I alternate with this through the summer.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 10:01:06 »
Heinie,
I visited Gideon Botha yesterday in P.E.
Needless to say this visit cost me money as I came away with a Vico x very attractive yellow which I had to sneak into my shade house, lest I be accused of spending the bread and milk money on a blom.
Gideon uses a granualised fertiliser high in potassium in order to "boost" the peduncle. He mixes the granules with water and allows the water to pass through the pot into the saucer below. He then allows the pot to stand in the liquid for some time, obviously to allow for greater absorbtion of the potassium.
I was quite intrigued by this and he swears that it boosts the peduncle above the plant hbeight, particularly with plants where the peduncle appears a little lazy to emerge from the leaves.

Mike

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 09:42:58 »
Heinie,
I often like to read in old topics, as there are a lot of valuable information.

Thank you very much for this interesting contribution! The flowers with the high peduncles are looking very good!

I am astonished at the high concentrate you use the potassium-nitrate: 5 g per litre. I have two questions:

1.)   How often do you use the potassium-nitrate solution?
2.)   You are using it as a leave fertilizer. Are there not salt spots on the leaves?

With kind regards,
Elke

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

• Regular Member.
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 12:46:46 »
Elke,
Although a number of members commented that the Multi K concentration is too strong or too high I wish to advise you that I strictly follow the recommendation by Haifa Chemicals in Israel for Clivia in particular with this product and had no damage or poor results thus far. I have not had any problems of growing shorter middle leaves on the few Chinese plants I have because when I apply the Multi K it is done throughout the shade house including the pots with plants of 2 years and older. Here is my program again that I have been using for the past 3 years with excellent success and results.

Mix 5 gram Haifa Multi K per one liter water. This concentration is used as root feeding once a month from February to April. From April to August I foliar feed once every 3 to 4 weeks at the same dilution rate, to which I add fertiliser with trace elements as well as Bladbuff 5, due to our winter rains when plants are not watered. There are no salt spots on the leaves of any of my plants due to over dosage because I follow a strict instruction from the manufactures who recommended this amount for Clivia plants. After the treatment and when the leaves dried out one can notice a little loose white deposits on the leaves but this is removed within a day or two by wind or rain. This sediment has never caused any damage even if it is not removed by wind or water for a month. This is a high-quality product for a particular requirement made by professionals.

Here are two photos of the Gert Wiese Jap 4 X Vico yellow offset presented in the last photo above when it flowered a year later in 2008. The large offset was removed for Willie du Plessis in November that same year.

Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
082 468 4410

• Titanium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 15:10:31 »
Heinie,
thank you very much for your comprehensive information. You have a wonderful plant with a good shape, a nice high peduncle and lovely yellow flowers.

And it is the first time, that I can see a South African clivia with narrow leaves and a large offsets. I must say, that I like it very much, if the offsets stay with the mother plant. The whole arrangement looks luxuriantly. Imagine the impression, when several peduncles are blooming.

From Hortus I got the information, that brown tips of plants are often caused by a lack of potassium.

With kind regards,
Elke

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Regular Member.
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 16:13:10 »
Elke,
Thank you for the compliment. Narrow leaf plants can have good shapes contrary to some comments in another post recently. Sufficient Calcium strengthens the cells in the leaves to keep them strong and allow for upright leaves. This plant is now very large with very good fan shape. If I can get it out of the position I will take a photo tomorrow for you.

You are correct with the brown tip information on leaves. Lack of potassium is one of the causes.

Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
082 468 4410

• Regular Member.
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 13:30:05 »
Elke,
Here is a photo of the plant with 2 offsets, one with 11 and the other with 15 leaves, I took this morning. I will remove them after flowering at the end of the year. It is planted in a 35cm pot and you will notice how the roots are already lifting the growing medium. I removed a number of loose leaves prior to taking the photo as you can see them in the background.

Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
082 468 4410

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy