Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: GROWING CLIVIA`S FROM SEED...***ANY THOUGHTS***  (Read 8228 times)

Offline Humus

• Titanium Member
GROWING CLIVIA`S FROM SEED...***ANY THOUGHTS***
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:43:09 »
Spend a very wet and rainy afternoon, putting together a few thoughts on a Clivia guide to post with my Clivia seed sales on ebay....do you agree/disagree have I missed anything, happy for any comments  :rose:  :thanks:

GROWING CLIVIA FROM SEED
There are a number of methods to germinate clivia seeds, I have tried a good number of methods with mixed results, I will set out my most successful one with a 95 to 100% success rate, this does vary depending on a number of factors including the viability of the seed (age, size, quality, even genetic`s), Temperature, moisture level, environment, light etc?
1.   Clean/Fresh seeds are soaked overnight in water with a dash of Bleach and dishwashing liquid..
2.   Seed is placed on a bed of perlite with its growing point (a small dot on the seed) pointing up. The container used is up to you , it can be a plastic bag, a closable clear plastic food container, plastic pot or like me a seedling tray?
3.   Seeds technically don`t need light to grow as they feed on their seed reserves?. 
4.   Clivia seeds need a minimum temperature of  24 degC. to germinate and then grow?This can be achieved by waiting for Spring, bottom heat beds(mine are set for 24degC.),     place on a heat source eg. Hot water service, modem or fridge...
5.   Seeds need to be moist not wet/sodden , this can be done with a closed container, or placed in a plastic bag tied or misters?.
6.   Cleanliness and a sterilized equipment, seed, Perlite and water is important?
7.   I add a dash of bleach to all water added to the seeds as well as spraying the seeds on a daily bases when the container is not completely sealed?
8.   The seeds should start sprouting in  7 to 14 days if the temperature is adequate?
9.   After a few months when the seedling has a leaf and root 3 to 4cm`s long it can be potted?       

Hugh Williams
Buxus & Hedges
production nurseries
South Australia....

CliviaMall

Online Jon

• Platinum Member
Re: GROWING CLIVIA`S FROM SEED...***ANY THOUGHTS***
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:44:34 »
How about drying fresh seed for a day or two, particularly on slightly immature seed? I'm always in two minds whether to soak first, then dry or dry for a day or two before soaking?

Offline Carrie Kruger

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • www.utopiaclivias.co.za
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:52:51 »
Humus are you refering to normal household bleach like Jic? and how much would a dash be on a liter of water?
Carrie Kruger             Don`t dream your life, live your dreams!
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183
cel: 27 833431288 
 www.utopiaclivias.co.za       Clivias, orchids, daylilies and Incas

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Roger Dinsdale

• Inactive
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 10:11:02 »
I read a post on the Yahoo Clivia Enthusiast Group which explained about germinating seed in water.  I had five cheap seeds from a UK source and tried it.  The seeds were small and a bit dry looking (Daruma-type) but the first germinated within 24 hours and one a day after that.  I have tried this with seeds from China direct, from China via Baltimore and from the UK.  It has worked in all cases.  The seeds are in Ziploc bags or little plastic containers and I put them over the vent at the back of the freezer where the warm air comes up.

If seeds that have not germinated after a few days, I gently abrade the growing point with my wife?s sandpaper type nail file board ? very gently - and put back in the water.  Germination usually follows quickly.   I change the water every few days and do not use any fungicide although I do wash the seeds in an anti-bacterial hand wash at the outset.

Once the little willy-thing is a few millimetres long I transfer the seed to a closed plastic container in a piece of damp kitchen towel until it elongates and produces some root hairs (and maybe the signs of the first leaf) at which time I pop the seed into a light compost in a pot and wait for it to flower, potting on as necessary.  The last bit is the hardest ? the waiting, that is.

I can imagine, as I write this, people sighing and wondering why I make all this work for myself when there are far easier ways to do it.  I am retired.  What am I going to do all day ? stare out of the window?   

Roger, from a scorching hot (for the UK) Northampton

Online Chris Smit (Berge)

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:07:35 »
Humus,

May I highjack your post to make sure about your point 2? As a novice it looks like I made a mistake as I place the seed with the growing point pointing down wards.
My logic tells me a root should point down. The problem is that I found a lot of seeds where the leaves then got stuck between the seed and the root.. Please confirm that your way
is indeed the correct way and promise not to laugh. This shows what a good idea you have by putting this guideline out with your seed orders as you would have at least helped one fool.

Chris

Offline Humus

• Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:56:25 »
Ah! good stuff...

Joh...Yes you are right, I dry them for up to two weeks either between tea towels or in my special envelopes(see other post)...

Hey Carrie a dash is a dash...Two dashes in a litre of water...lets say 20mls.....

Roger all good points, there are plenty of ways to germinate seed, mine is on a commercial scale plus 10 000 seeds.....

I sit there and place every seed facing up...the ones facing down can rot off...the root knows which way is down  :poke: LOL :good: :smile:
Hugh Williams
Buxus & Hedges
production nurseries
South Australia....

Online Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 17:05:55 »
Hello Hugh ,
               Your method is perfect .

We wish you great sales .

Regards,
          Lionel.

Online Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 11:16:24 »

I sit there and place every seed facing up...the ones facing down can rot off...the root knows which way is down  :poke: LOL :good: :smile:
How very interesting Hugh I was always obsessed with making sure that the growing point was facing the mix  ;D before I began germinating my seeds in sphagnum in ziploc bags.  Must try out your theory :)
South West of Western Australia

Offline Roger Dinsdale

• Inactive
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 12:01:50 »
One third of my latest batch of Chinese seeds had germinated in water after one week and these I moved to sealed containers on damp kitchen towel yesterday. The remainder were lightly abraided with an emery board at the growing point (never sure whether it is enough but better safe than sorry) and overnight half of them have germinated.  The others will be further abraded if they haven't germinated after a few more days in water. Such fun.

Online Jon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 17:12:08 »
I placemine sideways. The leaf goes up and the root down.

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 20:08:28 »
Chris i germinate mine in coco husk chips and have never bother to plave them any specific way. When i rinse the off after two days in a dish washing mixture i pour them out into my hand and sow them into the husk chips so which ever way the fall that is the way they will germinate. I then cover them in a small layer off husk chips and rinse them off under the tap once a week.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I think the germination ratio depends on the type of meduim used. On my first attempt i used normal potting soil mixed with river sand and placed all the seeds on their sides but some just never penetrated the meduim. Chris Viljoen uses a bark method and i think in both the meduims the roots and leaves are not fixed but because the meduim is very loose they will turn the way they want to.

Just my 2c worth

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

CliviaMall

Online Dries de Klerk

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 09:56:51 »
Hi fellow clivia nerds

There are many ways to skin a cat...

I would be carefull to use any abrasive material to 'break' the outer skin of seeds. It can be damaged and remember, this is the very end of the 1st root - rather important.

One can use a sharp ended little knife instead. Cut a very shallow half moon, 2-3mm away from where the root will sprout. Put the knife edge under the skin and pull it away, to the opposite side. This will expose the start of the root.

Add a little condys cristalls (to sterilise) to water, and drop the  seeds in after mixing it very well. Do not leave the seeds in the water for more than 3 days - it may start to burst open.

How you plant the rooted seeds are up to you. For me facing down works well.

Happy growing!

If you see something wrong and don't make any attempt to rectify it, you actually approve of it.

Dries de Klerk
Bashewa, Pretoria

Offline Sarel

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 02:52:29 »
Winter can be a bit cold in NZ so I do not believe the seed needs 24C to germinate.  Come and see my germinated seed - and we usually do not reach 24C all year.

Sarel

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart