Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Yearbook 13  (Read 9920 times)

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Re: Yearbook 13
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 02:12:01 »
I received my yearbook today. I like it  :love1:!

What do you as fellow clivia club members think of the quality of the latest edition (yearbook 13) .

There is no show news or pictures from the various branches shows. Some of the print is unreadable small, for example page 32.

Show news or similar information are much better suited to the regular newsletter than the yearbook. This kind of information quickly grows outdated and uninteresting and as such is more in place in the

newsletter. In my opinion the information found in the yearbooks should be longer lasting and not expire as quickly.
Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany

CliviaMall

Offline Registered Member

• Regular Member.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 00:05:06 »
Yes Heidi I agree with you!

I read my yearbook today in one sitting and although some of the scientific information was above my knowledge level, I learnt a LOT and found it very interesting.

One of the findings that amazed me is that there is more genetic variation within one specie (Miniata) than among different species! if I understand it correctly.

The photo's at the end are also very special.

Thank you editors for a GREAT YEARBOOK!

Andre

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 07:08:01 »
I'm a little dissapointed not to have received mine. Have the other Capetonians?

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 09:42:39 »
I received mine yesterday (Somerset West), haven't had a chance to sit down and look throught it properly yet though.
Leisl Brand
Somerset West, South Africa
072 222 6624
leislbrand@gmail.com

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 10:45:13 »
I have read with interest and some dismay the comments that followed Randy's initial posting re Yearbook 13. Comparisons are an important part of our Clivia world be it in our own Clivia houses, at our annual shows or in respect of both content and quality of our Yearbooks. Respectfully given opinions are surely of value to the Clivia society as a whole.
Although I realise that the Forum is the prime recipient of contributions, I would like to see more information about the results of the Clivia shows from all countries. We would be able to have on permanent record the photos of and comments on the latest developments in breeding of the best there is.

With thanks for the privilege of being part of the Clivia Society.

Gordon Fraser

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 13:54:20 »
Yearbook 13 has finally arrived in East London!

I think the two Roger's have done a great job given their terms of reference by the Clivia Society, and the photos are great. Well done to all concerned. The quality of the yearbook is outstanding!

I would like to suggest to the Society, however, that future editions should also have greater content for the layman, so that the the hunger for knowledge of all our members, those with a scientific bent and those who prefer less complex explanations, can both be satisfied.

Also realise that no edition will satisfy everyone, that is the nature of us humans!

Regards, Peter.

Peter Miles
East London, South Africa
083 463 6229
petermalcommiles@gmail.com

• Bronze Member
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 23:37:05 »
 :clap:  I want to thank the editors for their hard work and giving up lots of free time.

I want to make an suggestion, what about 2 articles about two different prominent breeders/growers. For exsample one in China and one in Japan or S.A. or any other country. I would  love to know their favorate clivias, their breeding aim. Long term vision, etc. This articles must have photo's of their flagship and rare clivias. Because of the marketing value of these articles, breeders will write their own articles, take their own quality photos and just send them to the editors, who will use the two best ones. I will love to read such articles and it will help me with my own breeding.

Previously their was articles of people's experiences, visiting breeders in other country's. I loved these articles. Hope our editors will consider this. 

• Bronze Member
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 00:07:40 »
I just want to ad this. Yearbooks is collector's items, newsletters not. In 20 years time one would love to look back to the old show winners of 2011.....  I disagree that show winning photo's will become outdated. Yearbook's name say it all, what is hot in this year, not only show winners but also new developements in clivia. Later one wants to look back and see which year was what type of clivia discovered or bred. That is main reason why I collect these yearbooks. I am greatfull to our editors. I am just speaking my mind.  Kind Regards

• Titanium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 06:38:48 »
Dear all who have made input to date
Your comments and suggestions are much valued.
A favour, please - find and get authors to write and send photos of publishable quality!
I know not all Clubs have a category for 'best own bred plant' but these in particular are worth documenting and publishing, even when shown in the standard categories. They dont need to be winners, but shown and awarded.
We would really like records and photos of breeding with particular strains or cultivars, results of breeding interspecifics through the generations, etc.
Just for the record - Clivia 13 dedicated to research results is surely a once off - it will be a while before so much research material is made available again.
At the moment there is NOT A SINGLE article on file for publishing in CLIVIA 14!
Even if authored in another language we can have the articles translated - we have Chinese, Japanese, German etc translators who are able to assist.
Regards
Roger

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 09:20:55 »
Hi Roger,

You make a very good and telling point, as Lionel did in a previous post.

Your challenge to individuals and clubs is a good one, let's see if they respond.

Well done on creating a superb publication!

Best Regards, Peter
Peter Miles
East London, South Africa
083 463 6229
petermalcommiles@gmail.com

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy