Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Yearbook 13  (Read 9783 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Platinum Member
Re: Yearbook 13
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:03 »
I would like to thank both Rogers, and everyone at Society level et al who were part of getting Yearbook 13 to us.

CliviaMall

• Titanium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 09:30:32 »
Hi Andre

It is not true what you have said "I don't see any appreciation for the people that produced the yearbook in spite of very difficult circumstances."  Please check on another thread "2011 Yearbook"  before this one where a few people including myself thanking those involved in the production of this Yearbook.   ;D 
Sydney NSW Australia

• Titanium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 09:58:46 »
Dear all
This is one of your editors speaking
But in my capacity as an individual member of a personally sponsored Forum.
I value all inputs as it certainly helps judge what the readership wants.
But firstly as a point of fact - it was announced at the last AGM that the Yearbook would go out at the same time as the last 2011 Clivia News, i.e. in December, hence it is 2 months late at most.
Now some observations and personal opinions.
When the Yearbook was conceived for teen years ago [we've already skipped one year!] by the Cape Clivia Club members they had the material of the first Clivia Congress at their disposal.
The Clivia Newsletter was still a photostatted broadsheet in black-and-white.
There were only two Clubs. The logistics were therefore easier. If you received a photo entitled 'Toy's winning plant' You knew it was an 'Ellla van Zyl' and at the Northern Clivia Club show.
Things have moved on. More people are computer literate. There are the two electronic groups devoted to Clivia; There are now ten Clubs, one overseas affiliated to the Clivia Siociety and other Clubs and Societies not affiliated, including many in China which dwarf the Society in comparison; Clubs have their own websites and Newsletters.
There is also the Clivia Society Website as vehicle for dissemination of information.
The eGroups have become the chat rooms replacing the letters and Q&As sections of the Newsletter.
Since the Clivia News has gone to color print it has fulfilled some of the role of the earlier Yearbooks in disseminating popular information.
So the question is what is the role of the Newsletter and what in turn is the role of the Yearbook?
Print is expensive and postage equally so, so these are costly investments for the Society. They should be seen to be giving value for money.
My take as editor has been to create interest in people, plants and habitats through the Newsletter and keep it fairly accessible to the layman although I have complaints about highbrow contributions such as those of for instance Bill Morris on color agents in flowers. In fact it is no longer a Newsletter in the strictest sense and only disseminates information related to the Society membership in broad terms. The minutes of the AGM, reports by Clubs etc are no longer published since they are supposed to be disseminated on the Society website.
It was decided that the Newsletter should become one of the vehicles for publishing photos of registered plants but this requires close collaboration between the Registrar and editors, somewhat difficult over the distance and time-gap between the two but we're working on it.
Then there is the Yearbook. We as editors believe that it should contain authoritative material that bears up to scrutiny and retains validity over a longer period.
The role that it once played in recording winners of shows has become too difficult with the number of Clubs who are members of the Society. Firstly there are far more Clubs and interest Groups that show, secondly many Clubs hold more than one show a year, some up to three. Keeping all Clubs happy is an issue, especially since all do not have photographers capable of submitting the requisite quality for publication. Also getting the Yearbook to print so that ALL Clubs have it available for their shows is nigh impossible - Lowveld show at end August so that means we need the print copy by then. It is only at the AGM that the editors are elected and this is usually in May. Then only can they start to find material, and the photographic competition entries need then to be sourced - I promise you, you need to beg for entries! And often those photos only come from the next round of southern hemisphere blooming.
We really need material from breeders who have been in the game a long time and have reliable, verifiable results. Again, these are few and far between and often not keen, able or willing to share information.
As for size - we were told in no uncertain terms that the book in envelope with stamps would weigh no more that the minimum post-office rated book post so that limits both the weight of paper used and the number of pages - 96 plus cover.
I am not wanting to make it all sound negative or problematic but I would like you to temper your opinions within the realm of these logistical constraints.
Also please read the editorial.
Then tell us what you think.
All inputs are valued and cause for reflection.
Thank you
Roger F

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Titanium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 11:02:49 »
PS - I need to understand the use of the term 'quality'.
There is the technical quality of the print - we believe it in this instance to be high with well resolved layout, excellent photo and graphic editing, etc.
Quality of contributions - although many are 'dry' we believe their content is accurate and well presented.
Language editing - we've had two of the best, Roger Dixon and Greig Russell check final proofs although if presented sooner some pieces may have had extensive language revisions.
Quality of mix of material - open to debate.
But an observation on the contents - most articles were presented at the Clivia Conference in Bellville in 2010. They are the results of millions of rands of research, some of which - although a small portion - comes from the Society. We believe the membership should be privileged to be the first to see the results of something they have invested in.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 14:05:15 »
Dear all,

I've got my copy yesterday, so here's my 1.5 cents worth.

The main contents of this jubilee issue is very scientifically. Yes, indeed it is! But I agree with Roger
But an observation on the contents - most articles were presented at the Clivia Conference in Bellville in 2010. They are the results of millions of rands of research, some of which - although a small portion - comes from the Society. We believe the membership should be privileged to be the first to see the results of something they have invested in.

To my eyes we as members of the clivia society are indeed privileged to have the running scientific research on clivias by Prof. Spies et al. Their results and conclusions presented on the clivia conference 2010 are available now worldwide, and this all in our actual yearbook. I think our South African clivia lovers can be proud to have this intense scientific research on clivias inhabited in their country.

Besides the important scientific articles which forms the greater part you can find an interesting writing of Hein Grebe on variegated clivia flowers, a field with very low available information. 'Relationships in Clivia' is a further very informative and competent written article by Roger Dixon with interesting conclusions and some open questions. And not to forget the pics of the photographic competition, which are first class in presentation and print.

I would like to thank all which have been involved in realising this special jubilee yearbook 20. It is very informative written, text and pictures are clearly divided, and printed on good quality photographic paper. All this is solid thread-bound to a handsome issue.

At last a comment to the costs. The clivia society offers 4 journal issues plus the yearbook. The subscription rate for one year is US$ 28.50 which is a bargain for this 5 high standard publications (also international postage included). I am also member of some other international plant societies and some of them ask more than double of our clivia membership fee only for their yearbooks. So we have to be thankful also for the reasonable prices realised by the clivia society, which surely may help to increase membership for a broader basis of our all clivia hobby.

Joerg
from Wuppertal, Bergisches Land, Western Germany visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 14:34:01 »
Oops, 'special jubilee yearbook 20' in my text surely means yearbook 13 - the 20th. anniversary issue ( must be the age! I also miss the modify option)
Joerg
from Wuppertal, Bergisches Land, Western Germany visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Regular Member.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 21:43:27 »
Hi Everybody

Thank you Roger!!!!

Thank you Lionel - I'm working on it!

The biggest challenge of compiling a yearbook is to find suitable articles to publish.

That is the collective responsibility of all the members.

Lets all learn form this unpleasant experience and start writing for the next yearbook which is due shortly.

Looking forward to see the articles stream in to the Clivia Society editorial team.

Regards

Andre

PS!!! I propose that Randy, Peter and Maria be elected for the editorial team at the next AGM in Nelspruit.

• Platinum Member
  • cell : 0833814670
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 23:14:48 »
                                                               Andre,

ai.... jai.... jai.... jai.... jai

Do you get so upset cause the Bulls are wearing Pink this year .....or what.

Regards

Bill
Bill Seeley . 31 Naudest. P.O.Box 857, Rayton ,1001.  -25Km East of Pretoria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 23:34:49 »
Quality of mix of material - open to debate.

Roger, I have to agree with you that the Quality of the content is very high.  :admire: :welldone: I hope I have not been misunderstood when I made my observation "that there are a little bit too many "Scientific staff" and too little "layman's articles" in this yearbook. So unless you are a highly trained or at least qualified botanist or geneticists in the Agricultural line, one is bound to find the publication a little too dry". That was an observation, not necessary that I am saying it is wrong. Nor do I think I am being critical.

If it is the committees' view that we should go the technical way and lean towards being a more Scientific Society with a matching publication, so be it. I think I will enjoy that.

Are we leaning that way? ???

Chris

menuwhy0@yahoo.com.au
NSW, Australia

• Titanium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 13:33:16 »
Dear Chris
Thanks for your input.
There is no 'committee' other than the editors.
There is no way we can exclusively go the 'scientific' route - the membership would not stand for it and there will not be enough material to publish. In that respect Clivia 13 is a once-off and that is because for the first time there was enough material from both researchers and the research group to make up the bulk of a single publication. Please also recall that the Clivia Conference contributions had already been approved by a selection committee, so we as editors were already presented with vetted material.
I'm not sure that the impact of what is being made available is immediately apparent - DNA analysis exposes our sense of what makes for a 'species' as limited, particularly in the Linneaen model. Spies and his team show that there are DNA markers or 'barcodes'  for nobilis and mirabilis so that in classical taxonomy these are species - caulescens is almost, but miniata, gardenii and robusta have cross-over DNA between species in the same locus, hence supporting the phenomenon what Hammett has termed "cloud-speciation". A number of other observations arise - e.g. - that miniata form may have arisen more than once, that maxima is not robusta and that the Ngome populations are distinct from gardenii. Dixon has shown that var citrina is not supported, that the Group 1 and Group 2 yellow clones have distinct geographical locations, and that in understanding speciation we need to have a holistic model of all the ecological factors in play over a vast period of time.
Now all of this is not only important for understanding Clivia but has implications for the understanding of many other living organisms and as such is a profound contribution.
I think it important to also reflect on why all this genetic research has been undertaken - the request from the Society and its membership was for DNA markers for hybrid clones so that we as Clivia plant owners could know that the plant we called for instance 'Suzi-Q' was 'Suzi-Q' and not some 'Suzi-Q look-alike'. In order to establish baseline markers Spies et al needed markers for all the species. Instead they discovered that not all the species as we had defined them existed in the lab. Now that in itself is a profound start, although frustrating for the Clivia aficionado.
So bear with us.
I know everyone does not want to get their heads around this and some just want eye-candy and a quick fix, and I respect that.
Sometimes, however, we need also to gaze into the future through lens of the distant past and that is why we have scientists.
Regards
Roger

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 13:59:38 »
Hi Roger,
By committee, I mean the general Clivia Society management committee that can decide the direction the society can/will take into the future.

Thank you for your detailed run down of some of the technical stuffs. I think many (including myself) enjoy and appreciate that.

I do not think that there will be an end to any discussion considering the merits of certain facts unless we tagged them to groups of people and planning. There is much excitement learning about the cosmos and the beginning of life but for 99.9999% of the world population it means nothing and for the other 0.0001% maybe the same percentage skips a heart bit when something new in that direction is discovered.

However, if you are a cosmologist and/or one of the people in a related field studying the same thing, your world of-course revolve around such things.

I think I happen to be caught in a world of curiosity, being interested in a little of this and that and have no depth in anything at all. You know what? I think I am one of those faceless majority that make up the human race.

Anybody out there not ashamed to stand beside me?

Regards,
Chris
menuwhy0@yahoo.com.au
NSW, Australia

CliviaMall

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 14:35:10 »

Thank you for your detailed run down of some of the technical stuffs. I think many (including myself) enjoy and appreciate that.

I think I happen to be caught in a world of curiosity, being interested in a little of this and that and have no depth in anything at all. You know what? I think I am one of those faceless majority that make up the human race.

Anybody out there not ashamed to stand beside me?

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris

I remember the saying that said "curiosity killed the cat".  I think 99.999% of all human beings fall into the same category as the one you described above. The other 0.0001% just pretend to be clever. Yes i also fall in your category.

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 15:20:40 »
                                                               Andre,

ai.... jai.... jai.... jai.... jai

Do you get so upset cause the Bulls are wearing Pink this year .....or what.

Regards

Bill

Aag no man Bill. We clivia oaks smaak pienk. Just post a pink flowering clivia and check us all freak out.
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Regular Member.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 00:58:19 »
Hi Bill

The Bulls in pink!  - I thought I was having a bad dream and when I wake up they will be wearing BLUE again.

But the nightmare continues.....!

I can already imagine the "bar chat" and the humiliation when the Bulls loose a match...

"It's because they went pink!" or the 'pink oxen'...., or "the pink lads' had a blonde moment ....

Think I must watch the 'pink' Bulls matches in the private ...in my bedroom... with the curtains drawn where nobody will be able to make "unsavoury" remarks.

I'm afraid they 're not going to make it to any silver ware this season. Perhaps some "beauty contest" or modelling cup - but no rugby trophy!

The 'silver lining' to this dark rugby cloud is that I might spend more time with my Clivia beauties - for consolation.

Eish...

Andre

• Regular Member.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 01:33:15 »
Hi Every body

To my relief this discussion on Yearbook 13 turned constructive in the end thanks to the balanced  comment of Forum members.

Although I am still to read the yearbook, and judging from your posts above, my CURIOSITY makes me favour the scientific type of articles in the Yearbook but I also need the "eye candy" that Roger spoke of.

Perhaps it's also a case of "a little bit of sugar makes the medicine go down"?

The Clivia eye candy makes us swallow the heavy scientific stuff?

Regards

Andre

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart