Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Yearbook 13  (Read 9762 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Platinum Member
Yearbook 13
« on: February 16, 2012, 13:27:31 »
Hi all,

What do you as fellow clivia club members think of the quality of the latest edition (yearbook 13) .

I do not want to be courting trouble and I know there was a lot of sweat and effort put into it.

According to me the quality are not what we are accustomed to.
There is no show news or pictures from the various branches shows. Some of the print is unreadable small, for example page 32.

Besides the DNA information , a tribute to Mick Dower and the competition photos is there nothing else in it. 

:-[ :surprise:

Regards
Blanco / Western Cape / RSA

Flowers are our greatest silent friends.

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Re: Yearbook 13
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 16:11:38 »
I haven't received mine yet .... :-(
Leisl Brand
Somerset West, South Africa
072 222 6624
leislbrand@gmail.com

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 18:10:40 »
Randy ,
          The quality of the Yearbook is dictated by the quality and quantity of articles submitted by us readers.
If we do not contribute , the editors can`t publish a fuller book.
The same goes for the forum.
Regards,
          Lionel.

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

• Regular Member.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 20:09:50 »
 :mmm: :mmm:

Hi Randy

I haven't received mine yet and I'm looking forward to get it soon!

With regard to your well-meant comment I'd like to explain a few things regarding the publication.

I'm still a new Clivia grower (and Forum member) and have only praise and compliments for the valuable work that veteran Clivia growers, authors, editors and many other selfless volunteers have achieved and shared with thousands of Clivia enthusiasts internationally.

There were lots of complications in the production of the latest yearbook and the mere fact that it was completed can be regarded as an achievement - thanks to a FEW VERY DEDICATED Clivia veterans. (volunteers)

Please be fair in your comment in this instance.

Once you have made such valuable contributions as the present editorial members, we'd love to read more comment from you.

If you feel that you can do better, and volunteer to do so - everybody will be pleased!!!!

Looking forward to see your contributions in terms of service to the Clivia community, in future.

Regards

Andre

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 21:15:19 »
I find Andre's comments in response to Randy's evaluation totally uncalled for, pompous and distasteful. If Randy is disappointed in the Clivia Yearbook 13 publication, he is free to express this. No-one has a right to try and make him feel guilty about his disappointment and make excuses for the quality of the publication!

I don't care what the difficulties were in editing and publishing the Yearbook 13. The publication is the responsibility of the Clivia Society and is produced by them. They accepted this reponsibility 13 years ago. If there are difficulties in producing the publication, the members need to be informed as such before the publication is sent out. I think this has been done, and I accept the big load the editors have and the difficulty they have in receiving input from the members..

I haven't received Yearbook 13 yet, so have not read it. I do know, however, that it's publication is about 6 months late! When I get it and if I feel it is not up to the usual superb quality, I reserve the right to express this, and no-one has the right to criticize this view and try to make me feel guilty about this!

Regards, Peter 
Peter Miles
East London, South Africa
083 463 6229
petermalcommiles@gmail.com

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 21:30:03 »
Dear Randy ,
                I hope my comments are taken in the spirit I intended them.
You know I would never try to offend you.
I agree with your assessment , I went through the book very quickly .
I wanted to point out that I am as responsible for the quality of the publication as the next person.
We should all try to submit articles for publication .

Regards,
          Lionel.

• Regular Member.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 21:49:00 »
Hi Peter / Randy

Be constructive - not destructive.

It's our Clivia friends, mentors and role models that you are dealing with in a disrespectful manner.

That's unnecessary - so show some tact please!

Regards

Andre

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 22:29:51 »
Dear forum members

Randy's statement in the original post was his own opinion which is acceptable. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

The personal insults that followed is totally unacceptable. Please use the PM function for personal insults and do not post them publically on the forum. Less than a week ago we had a very interresting topic removed due to personal insults being thrown around. Is this what we want on the forum. I dont think so.

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 22:34:58 »
I don't think that Randy is being disrespectful to the editors or any one responsible in creating the publication.  In fact he never mentions any one invovled, he is simply stating his opinion.  I think that we all need to be careful with the words we chose to express ourselves.  Perhaps when faced with a post like this it is best to walk away and see if we feel the same way in 24 hours time rather than posting in haste and stepping on toes.  
Leisl Brand
Somerset West, South Africa
072 222 6624
leislbrand@gmail.com

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 23:50:53 »
Being a PAYING member is already a great contribution to the Society I think.
People/members are different from each other.
Some are busy with family, working, some are not.
Some are good with the camera, good with words and can write, some do not.
Others who can volunteer their time, talents and efforts are very much appreciated but should
not be regarded "above" those who can only contribute a check out of their hard earned money.

I agree with Peter, Eddie and Leisl.
I don't find any kind of disrespect in Randy's post.
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

• Regular Member.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:16:43 »
Hi Everybody

There's something missing in the posts up till now.

I don't see any appreciation for the people that produced the yearbook in spite of very difficult circumstances.

Some of us act like spoilt kids - ungrateful and always demanding more. Even though they don't contribute anything to "keep the household afloat".

Arrogance and parasitism - that's what I call it!

Always something to say but never around when there's work to be done!

Lionel showed a true Clivia-grower attitude by apologizing for not submitting an article for publication in the yearbook. (You are forgiven Lionel!)

If there was blame to be directed at somebody - it should be directed at those that had benefit from decades of service of others without making any contribution themselves. Such as some of the most verbal TITANIUM MEMBERS on this forum.

Why didn't you write an article for the yearbook?

Shame on you!

Andre

CliviaMall

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 08:07:34 »
Hi All,

Thanks for everyone?s contribution.

I will not comment on individuals opinions.

Let me rather put it this way. Let us REVIEW.

Give your own objective opinion.

Do not be narrow-minded in your review, only discuss your impressions of yearbook 13 in a constructive manner. No one will benefit by destructive criticism. Please note that we  review the book not the  authers.

The authors, publishers and printers can then take note of the review ( positive or negative) when they prepare to compile yearbook 14.

In other words, we want your humble opinion without prejudice. If it is GOOD , say so and if it is NOT, say so.

:rose: :rule:

Regards.
Blanco / Western Cape / RSA

Flowers are our greatest silent friends.

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 08:08:45 »
Andre ,
         Please make an effort to be nice , speak with a soft tongue ,we want to like you ,..... well truly I do.

It is good that you contribute of your valuable time and effort , we appreciate that .
We also appreciate the contributions however small of everyone.
Promoting a love of clivias is not a competition ,it is done voluntarily , as an act of love.
Put a bit more effort into your people skills please .
 I read this first thing in the morning and feel a bit sick in the stomach.
Regards,
           Lionel.

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:15:34 »
I have received yearbook 13 and I have gone through the articles. This is my opinion of the book and I am not offended if others do not agree with me as they are entitle to theirs.  :mmm:

I enjoyed the tribute to Mick Dower as he was/is a good friend even though we have never met personally. The article was short and sweet and with a lot of images which everyone can enjoy and understand.  :love:

Having a lot to do with people in the Agriculture fields and having had many discussions with breeders (not necessary Clivia's), I can understand the technical articles in this yearbook - somewhat. However, it is my opinion that there are a little bit too many "Scientific staff" and too little "layman's articles" in this yearbook. So unless you are a highly trained or at least qualified botanist or geneticists in the Agricultural line, one is bound to find the publication a little too dry. Let me ask a question. Do you think there are more Lay people or more scientifically minded people in this society? :mean:

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out. Most of the present willing contributors are scientifically qualified people and very technical at that. However, I really enjoy and appreciate the 2 articles involving flower colours. I think they stride the "middle road" that most can appreciate. The rest of the supporting articles are much appreciated. Keep up the good work. :good:

Lastly, I would like to add that one just does not contribute an article because one feels like it. There is a lot of personal feelings whether one is competent or even able to expressed one opinion and not be a laughing stock in the Clivia community. Then there is the vetting by a committee if your article is good enough. This then follows editing of the articles, resubmission and if all okay - acceptance.  :clap:

Kind Regards,
ChrisOng :rose:
menuwhy0@yahoo.com.au
NSW, Australia

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:22:20 »

If there was blame to be directed at somebody - it should be directed at those that had benefit from decades of service of others without making any contribution themselves. Such as some of the most verbal TITANIUM MEMBERS on this forum.

Why didn't you write an article for the yearbook?

Shame on you!

Andre

I'm sorry for being an arrogant parasite LOL

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven