Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: A question about new Colour Chart  (Read 21001 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
  • LiQiang
    • chineseclivia
A question about new Colour Chart
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:54:59 »
Hi All

I have a superficial doubt about the new Colour Chart:
Is each ruler represents a colour sequence? For example can i say SWATCH 1  representative red sequence ,SWATCH 10 representative Green sequence?this maybe very simple but sorry I want to confirm all about them.
Thank you very much.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CliviaMall

• Platinum Member
Re: A question about new Colour Chart
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 13:11:45 »
Yes Li. I'm also messed -up with this card. Can someone tell us how it works. 

Example... nr. 1 to 10 dark red /orange; 11 to 20  orange ect.,ect    ??? ???

Blanco / Western Cape / RSA

Flowers are our greatest silent friends.

• Platinum Member
    • www.btproducts.co.za
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 14:42:43 »
I just wish I could get hold of one. Can anyone help me?
we can sow, only God let grow!

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

merlie

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 15:08:42 »
There doesn't seem to be an entirely logical sequence.(at least to me) It is just a tool to identify the color of the flower.

When I use the chart I try to find the color closest to the flower color. Then you have to hold the color chart at an angle so glare doen't bleach it out.

The purpose is  so if I take a photo no matter how incorrect my digital camera makes the color, the viewer can see the color on the chart that is closest to the color of the flower. Maybe the color is 41. Then the viewer gets out his color chart and looks at color 41. No matter how the photo looks, 41 is the correct color. Clivia need shade but that shade can affect the color...different colors of shadecloth, the thick fiberglass that casts a yellow color at Plant Horizons, this is the only way to know what color the flowers actually are. What the name of the color is is irrelevant. There are infinite colors! Let the chart show you the true color.

I can't tell you how many times no color on the chart matches, or of course the there are multiple colors in the flower. Sometimes I use 2 charts!

In the above photo my eye sees 6 as being the closest color. Look at your color chart at home. 6 looks different than my photo. What you see at home is the true color of that flower the day I took the photo.

The color chart also acts as a scale. What size are the flowers?

http://californiaclivias.com/colorchart.php

The chart serves another purpose: an honest representation of what is being sold. I used to fall for the pink Clivia thing...so many pink clivias, so many blue leaves! The only way you are going to know the real color of a flower is by seeing it with your own eyes or by comparing your color chart to the color chart IN the photo...not a photo of a flower with a color chart laid on top of it. Man, I've seen everything!

Fritz, The Cape Clivia Club sells them for sure. Maybe  some other Clivia clubs by you carry them? Happy belated birthday by the way!

• Titanium Member
  • Life is great!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 15:31:08 »
Look at the attached document that was circulated on the E-group some time ago. I think Koos Geldenhuys headed the team that produced the Clivia Colour Chart II Colour Definitions.
Hope it helps.
Clivia Couture...Designing The Future
Registered Flora Grower: No AAA005-00309-0042
Licenced Seller of Protected Flora: No 0051-AAA005-01083    
54 Arbour Rd    +27 44 8741325
George, 6529   +27 834120011
South Africa     gfaber@mweb.co.za

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 16:32:07 »
Thanks Gerhard and Marilyn .  Just what I'm looking for. :good:
Blanco / Western Cape / RSA

Flowers are our greatest silent friends.

merlie

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 16:58:47 »
Gee Randy,
Thanks for letting Gerhard and I know. :rose:

• Gold Member
  • Sugar Baby
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 18:25:23 »
Hi Marilyn.  I also like to keep keep a photo record with the colour chart, but I include the measurement scale together with the relevant colour swatch for reference.
It would be nice if the society would include a scale at the side of each swatch, as well as basic reference colour names or colour groups in any future colour charts that may be printed. The colour names (Dark Orange-Red; Pastel Orange; Bronze; etc.) would assist members to classify their plants when showing or selling plants.  

"Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend".

Waterfall : KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

• Gold Member
  • Sugar Baby
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 18:49:58 »
Thanks Gerhard, I was too quick to post my previous message.  I have now downloaded the colour classification that you posted and this will most certainly suffice!  Do you know if the clubs are going to use the Consensus Classification on this chart?
"Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend".

Waterfall : KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

• Titanium Member
  • LiQiang
    • chineseclivia
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 02:29:59 »
Thanks very much Gerhard and Marilyn,Your post very helpful!!!

merlie

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 03:09:04 »
Ken
I like the way you use the scale under the color chart. Having to use the lines on the chart for a scale is awkward.

Those of you who don't have a chart, the scale is on one of the chart leaves.

CliviaMall

• Bronze Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 08:18:35 »
Gerhard, that is a very interesting link. I am surprised that the information is not recorded and the back of the swatches as it would provide complete information and eliminate the apparent confusion experienced by many.
Regards
Darrall

• Titanium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:18 »
Gerhard, thank you very much for the document! It is a good supplement to the colour chart.

Kind regards,
Elke

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 00:28:38 »
Gerhard, thank you very much too for the colour definitions - I looked for it for a long time.

Kind regards,
Thomas

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart