Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: TIP OF THE DAY: TO FERTILIZE OR NOT  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Platinum Member
TIP OF THE DAY: TO FERTILIZE OR NOT
« on: November 05, 2011, 05:29:10 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is the result of an experiment I started in 2009.
Seeds of the same yellow cross were planted in the same potting mix in June 2009.
The plants on the left were fed alternative weeks with Kelpak and Supranure (3:2:1(22). The solution was poured on the potting mix. Every three weeks I also added Chemicult (3:1:6). The plants have between 8 - 10 leafs.

The pot on the right is what most of my 2 year old seedlings look like as they get food once a year if they are lucky and I have money.

In the book Clivia Cultvation, there is a 'recipe' to get plants to flower in 3 years. That is what started my experiment. Unfortunately I did not transplant the seedlings etc so they will not flower next year. It's very expensive to feed once a week if you have thousands of seedlings but it is a sure way to fast track breeding results if you could flower plants in 3 years.

Regards
Rouzell
Clivia Guy
083 458 3892
012 809 0053

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Re: TIP OF THE DAY: TO FERTILIZE OR NOT
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:59:00 »
Rouzell , excellent results ! Heinie has done similar trails , but with other fertilizers and I have seen his results .The results are as impressive!
Maybe he will share his regime with us and you could compare the cost ?

Eugene

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 10:39:08 »
Hi rouzell or anyone,
Does slow release fertilizer give the same effect as liquid feed?

Michael

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:59:47 »
Surely the result would depend on the nutriment that is present in the soil/potting mix ???

Take away the water and neither pots will grow after a period of time.

The clivia I have growing in the garden bloom within 3 - 4 years but then again I do live in a sub-tropical climate and the soil must have suitable nutriments. I supplement them with water during the dry spells in summer and the rest I leave to God.

This is a 5 year old clump started from one plant

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Of course the drawback being that I cannot take them to display them at shows etc.
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:24:10 »
Abby, you mention that you grow in a sub tropical area.
Flower production is excellent.
Does the theory regarding "Clivia needs cold to flower" hold any value???
The members with "Borshare"/experience in the Clivia world, what do you say??
Unique Clivia's,
Pellissier,
Bloemfontein.
082 891 3966

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 13:11:55 »
Stef
Whilst I cannot answer
Does the theory regarding "Clivia needs cold to flower" hold any value???

My main flush comes in Spring as you can see in the pix above but they do spot through most of the year.
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 14:32:47 »
Beautiful specimen, Abby and certainly a good grower.
Gail
SE Michigan, USA

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 16:26:25 »
Sorry Stef , but I am just as interested.

ABBY , we are asking what your winter`s are like ?
Does it get cold there? ,what are the lowest temps and for how long.

Regards,
          Lionel.

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 18:45:50 »
Rouzel,

Did you start with feeding immediately after the seeds were planted?  Most breeders only start feeding after the seed has dropped.

I have started this year feeding my seedlings also with Kelp and Seagro, but after germination.

So far I have seen major differences compared to last year.  Some seedlings that germinated in August, already are pushing a second leave.
Flip Snyman
Paarl
RSA

flip.snyman@gmail.com

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 23:21:11 »
ABBY , we are asking what your winter`s are like ?
Does it get cold there? ,what are the lowest temps and for how long.

Regards,
          Lionel.

Nocturnal temperature drops down to around 10C but we do get several frosts in the winter when it drops below that but as the clivia are under shelter of the trees it does not seem to affect them. The days are around 20 C but in cold spells 15 C makes it a bit chilly. As you can see I am blessed to live in climate like that.

On any seedlings Clivia or otherwise which I may be growing in pots I use worm tea that I harvest from my worm farm which is a natural inexpensive fertilizer.

If I am trying to germinate seed in winter I find using grow lights at night to extend the growing season and provide warmth to get the plants growing out the natural growth period. Extended light period also seems to assists growth. This could be expensive if you have a large number of pots.

• Platinum Member
    • Clivia USA
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 23:28:09 »
Rouzell you wouldnt happen to have a with/without kelpak section as well? :)
If you got clivia problems here are the solutions we have used that will work:

http://cliviausa.com/pages/The-Learning-Center.html

Currently hating the fact that Clivias bloom 1-2 months later than most of the rest of the US where he is....

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 23:32:51 »
Thanks Abby ,
                  Your Winter temps are similar to ours here in the midlands of KZN, so the plants do get a decent drop in temp .
Regards,
           Lionel.

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 23:41:19 »
I have not used any of the sea based products, but from what I am reading now and in the past , I am very interested in trying them!  I use Blood meal, Bone meal, Tricho.& Mychro. Bateriums, Cal-Mag, and sometimes Dyna Grow. 

In Alasks, I had neard that they used the sea products and Fish Emulsion. I am curious to see the difference. 
MichealM

• Platinum Member
    • Clivia USA
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 23:57:45 »
Seaweed stuffs been around since the 70s, it actually DOES do something for veggies, did not consider it for this use, thus my interest in hard data :)
If you got clivia problems here are the solutions we have used that will work:

http://cliviausa.com/pages/The-Learning-Center.html

Currently hating the fact that Clivias bloom 1-2 months later than most of the rest of the US where he is....

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 08:22:15 »
Jon
Seaweed is a wonderful mulch for the garden that lets out nutrients as it decomposes but it is important to wash it out thoroughly otherwise your soil will become too saline.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias