CliviaMall

Author Topic: where are all the pod pics??  (Read 13560 times)

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
Re: where are all the pod pics??
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 21:20:43 »
Frits i have also experienced that the green berries eventually germinate but as you say it takes forever.
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

CliviaMall

Offline Humus

• Titanium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 01:10:06 »
Hi all, the berries may look green...BUT...they are soft to the touch and do clean a lot easier.....
Hugh Williams
Buxus & Hedges
production nurseries
South Australia....

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 07:21:22 »
Humus i can only put it down to experience. I have watched Chris Viljoen peeling berries and his hands are perfectly clean after doing this.
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Frits Korting

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 07:54:33 »
Humus,
The green berries are they from yellow clivias, that they are soft? As the yellow clivia berries take longer to colour and I found they are soft when still green.  

Eddie I heard years ago that when the berry ripens and colours up that the berry skin gives of an enzyme to start germinating and I have stuck to this theory and I let the berry colour up and then the membrane comes off easer on the seed. When you leave the umbel on the plant the berries start germinating in the berry on the plant and then full off and start growing further on the ground.
I think that is what the membrane is for on the seed and if you do not remove the membrane on the seed you also start getting fungus on the seed and then it rots not allowing the seed to germinate. But I have found that the seeds take longer to flower when picked green. I will still have a chat to Chris Viljoen about this and still get his input about green berries.

Regards Frits Korting

Offline Michael Loh

• Titanium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 23:07:59 »
what about picking them green and letting them colour up before peeling? will they be as good as ripening on the plant?

michael

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 07:05:36 »
I have a very dear friend who cuts off all his seed with the stem on May 1 every year. I got some this year on May 2 and have already started germinating some of them. I have not had seeds from him that did not germinate. They colour up as usualUnfortunately my cameras battery is flat but i will post some pics on this for you later today.

Offline Frits Korting

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 07:47:55 »
what about picking them green and letting them colour up before peeling? will they be as good as ripening on the plant?

michael
Michael,
Picking the berries green and by letting them hang, then they start colouring up as well, it can be done.
 I have done this as well and you get the membrane quite easily off. I still did not get the same results from germination to flowering.  But to prevent berries disappearing it would also help to get the seeds in the ground earlier by letting them hang for a week or two does make them colour up faster. But I still let Mother Nature takes its course.  I think we are all inpatient and at the end of the day you will have to wait a year or two longer for the clivia to flower instead of three to four years.
This has been my experience. Maybe someone ells has had different results.
Regards Frits 

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 07:52:06 »
Pics as promised

The raesoning behind cutting off the seed on may 1 is that it takes a lot from the mother and she might not reflower the next year. When cutting the seeds off like this she does reflower every year.
I have seen this for 2 years in a row now so believe in this method. The stem needs to be as long as possible for the seeds to ripen as they get enough out of the long stem.

When harvesting this way store them in a cool place and not in a hot place as this will let the stem dry out quickly.

Frits recalling Chris Viljoen picking seed out of the berry he actually does it with one hand. He holds the stem in one hand and picks with the other hand. Amazing to watch a master at work.

Some of the above seedpods i sent to Shirley. Maybe she can tell us how germination is going.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 11:12:37 »
This info is very interesting.

However , it would be good for those who have documented and definitive results , with controls , regarding plant growing vigour and flowering time, to include them in their posts.
I will certainly welcome that info and be in debt to anyone who has taken the time and care neccessary to have obtained that info.

I think we should take into account that unless one has heating facilities ( in the Southern Hemisphere ) at this time of year, the seeds will not germinate , and could even dehydrate if planted now.
Ease of peeling and an extra 4 to 5 months growing in the first season are good reasons to pick berries as soon as they start to soften.
Regards,
          Lionel.

Offline Gary K

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 10:54:27 »
Hi everyone,
                 I have had no problems with my seeds germinating after picking and peeling this time of year. I harvested some seeds a fortnight ago of some crosses that I am trying to ascertain what basal pigment they will give. I used a punch and removed the membrane over the radicle point, put them between 2 sheets of wet paper towel, sealed them in a couple of take away containers and put them on top of my fridge. I checked them a week later and they had all germinated so I planted them all in some seed raising mix in a seedling tray. I now keep them in my sunroom with some clivias in bloom. 2 walls of the sunroom are glass without any curtains and we had a heavy frost last night with more predicted for the next few days so it gets cold in there.
                 Having said that, last year I stored all of my seeds until September for planting. In previous years I have planted as I have picked and peeled with varying success of germination, growth vigour and susceptability to rot etc. depending on the amount of rainfall and how cold it gets. It must be noted that these seeds/seedlings were housed in a shadehouse under 50% shadecloth. Through the drought things were different with very little winter rainfall therefore warmer winters, however over the past 2 years the weather patterns have returned somewhat to what we experienced some 15-20 yrs ago. Holding back planting until September last year gave me better germination & growth vigour on my interspecific seeds/seedlings. It made little difference to germination and growth vigour of the miniata seeds/seedlings however the death rate for all seedlings was nearly eliminated altogether.
                 Apart from the few crosses I want to attain results of basal pigment, I will store my seeds until spring again this year.

Gary   
Clivia Addictions
Flying the Flag for Aussie Clivias

Offline Humus

• Titanium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 12:03:00 »
Lionel you are spot on the money....with heat sooner you germination sooner they flower.......
Hugh Williams
Buxus & Hedges
production nurseries
South Australia....

Offline Randal

• Titanium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 12:54:43 »
Last year most of my miniata flowered October through to December. I've noticed that even seed development varies from plant to plant and on each plant there are berries which ripen earlier than others.

I've had no problem with picking and germinating seeds from green coloured pods. I've been picking seeds mostly from selected crossings and from the plants that flowered earliest. I still have many pods on my plants.

This year I've been harvesting seed since April and now have some seedlings approaching the two leaf stage. Germination is in seed trays in the kitchen so probably the average temperature is warmer than outside. Even so, I insulate (seal the containers) until I plant them out. No artificial heating once planted out, but positions for the seedlings are selected and changed as the seasons change.

Offline Bill

• Platinum Member
  • cell : 0833814670
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 13:46:26 »
Can i please put this request to all the "old hands" and the "not so old "

I need to see all the different species , Caulescens, Mirabilis , Robusta , Nobilis , Gardini , Miniata , Interspesific , etc 

difference in   

1.    SEEDPOTS and SEEDS  (green and ripe )

2.   And allso the lenght of ripening of seeds

3.  And how easy to grow from seeds

Thank you

Bill
Bill Seeley . 31 Naudest. P.O.Box 857, Rayton ,1001.  -25Km East of Pretoria

Offline Shirley Gould

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 15:44:41 »
Hi Eddie, some are germinating faster than others..... but mostly a success rate i would say of about 75% - many thanks !!

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 19:39:34 »
Hi Shirley

Looks like you are the currently the "green seed" experiment master. With the same procedure last year my germination was 99% but as you say some is a bit faster than others.

Yellow seed is ripening slower than usual but will let you know when they are ready then you can experiment again

Kind regards
Eddie

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart