CliviaMall

Author Topic: Clivia Cultivar Names Checklist and Register  (Read 23600 times)

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Re: Clivia Cultivar Names Checklist and Register
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 13:04:36 »
Hi Lionel
just a short reply to your post,what is breeder?

Is it a home gardener who does a couple of crosses not for gain but for the love of the plant
or
The person who aquires the best plants money can buy has a vision of what the seeds will turn out to be and does it also for financial gain but this person has the ability to distinquish whether this cross will result in ,what he envisions
the outcome is in the first or second generaration i think the second group is the true breeders never be ashamed to make money it pays for your habit
there are plenty off people in the second category on this forum but a breeder must also have knowledge on his subject and be willing to share those facts with the not so experienced .
When you read the post people write on the forum you see those that are breeders those that are collectors and those that just  love to share in our passion
we are lucky today to have a lot of breeders that are young and will carry the torch for clivias just to name a few george liezell and many others to mention
we are also lucky on this forum to have people like elke maria lt yourself gerhard stef and so many others sorry if i have left out anybody, that impart knowledge friendship and a sense of love to members they are always there to encourage give there opinions and upliftment to others like you i regard them as breeders, i dont care what other members say do or if they keep you in check you my friend and many others are breeders through your passion and knowledge these people earn the right to be called a breeders they see in plants something that others dont that is the thing about them and you,
accept  praise when it is given you earn it and the praise is sincere to you and many others who impart there knowledge and friendship on this forum to all of you you earn that praise accept it
regards
martin

lionell you are a good man
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 13:57:45 »
O.K. Martin,
               Thank you very ,very much .
Excuse my grumpiness every now and then everyone , I  am a senior citizen and have a pensioners card to prove it. With age comes " GRUMPINESS RIGHTS "

LOL LOL

merlie

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 19:52:56 »
Chris,
You wrote " I do believe such a system can only be run by the Clivia Society."
It is.
Ken Smith is the Registrar on behalf of the Clivia Society.
The NACS has provided a free place for the program to be situated and the will to make this happen. That is all. There is no further involvement by the NACS.
Roger Fisher was also involved from the beginning. He modestly didn't mention himself.

Michael,
There are many reasons plant registers are not democratic institutions where anyone can load a photo. Imagine you bred a great plant. You send photos in. Then other people send in photos that look nothing like what you bred. Or maybe they make comments like "prone to fungus" but they live in a damp climate and don't take care of their plants. What breeder is going to want to register their plant?
This kind of open-ness doesn't even work well on this forum and offends many people. No plant registers I know of allow that. I had to look at a lot of them to know what would be appropriate for Clivias.

All the best,
Marilyn

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Registered Member

• Platinum Member
    • Clivia USA
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 21:00:11 »
I understand this is a finished product but I wonder if the question was asked:

What do we want this thing to do?

I go, I see a list of names, I see a little bit of information, but if the idea is to create a resource for the genetics of clivia perhaps it would be valuable to lead people into filling out a few more information boxes, perhaps "Pod parent", "Pollen Parent" G1,G2,G3,Unknown etc.

If we could begin to put together a real history of the genetics behind some of these plants we as a group of hobbyists, growers, enthusiasts, breeders, secret mad scientists, whatever have you...we as a group could then make more interesting and informed decisions.  A few optional fields could create something here that would literally influence clivia breeding for generations.

Really, honestly, just trying to be constructive. Im trying to understand why theres any form of drama over this and also what in its current format its job is.

For instance heres a couple of SJT listings:

Name: Sir John Thuron (1)
Species: Clivia miniata
Color: Yellow
Other traits:
Raiser: John Thouron
Breeder:
Ref: dc 2001

Description: pale yellow large flowers, spelling as listed in Conway catalogue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Sir John Thouron (2)
Species: Clivia miniata
Color: Yellow
Other traits:
Raiser: John Thouron
Breeder:
Ref: ar/1994
Marilyn Paskert  

Description: yellow form sold by White Flower Farm, USA. Said to have come from Lord Aberconway in England.

We have a nice picture of an SJT in one, but we know for instance this is a G1 yellow right?  We know its one of the first yellows found what in the 1800s or something as well so that might be really interesting information, perhaps  date collected for habitat plants or date bred for bred stock would be something interesting to know.

Seems to me sold by White Flower Farm isnt even close to a tiny piece of the story of such a famous plant.

Is there any way for people outside of the original registrant to give information on a plant such as SJT?

Now, before answering yes I looked at the paper form that is supposed to be used for registration, just that fact, that its a hand written form, will lose this register valuable information.

Just my 2c.
If you got clivia problems here are the solutions we have used that will work:

http://cliviausa.com/pages/The-Learning-Center.html

Currently hating the fact that Clivias bloom 1-2 months later than most of the rest of the US where he is....

• Titanium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 22:28:14 »
Hi Marilyn,
Normally "wisdom of the crowds" sorts out problems like misrepresentation. Granted no other registry has the input as described, but I was suggesting it as a way to add to the clivia commons. Here the more people engaged in the activity, the greater enjoyment of the whole for the community, (like dancing at a party, the more the merrier). It  would be a way of increasing photos and editing some incomplete/ or incorrect details.Some plants have loads of detail which is slightly personal views in description while other entries are brief.  There could be a provisional list and fully processed list. Just a comment.
But great effort from you and Ken, well done and thanks
Cheers

merlie

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 22:33:59 »
Michael,
I actually really like your idea and agree it would sort out misrepresentations. That however is out of my hands. My part is done. Please talk to Ken about this. The Rose register allowed photos submitted by many people. Thank you for your well thought out letter. I agree 100%.
Marilyn

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 01:02:55 »
You're most welcome Marilyn!

Am just very glad I can contribute in my own little way.
Hope the pictures of my "babies" educate somebody somewhere sometime.
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

merlie

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 01:08:44 »
Maria,
Your tiger photos are the best out there....I love the fact that you thought to take a photo of the front and the back of a leaf.
Very observant!
:thanks:
Marilyn

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 03:42:53 »
Marilyn,

I find the description for Conway's Tessa on the register very interesting:

'a Conway selection with peach coloured pastel yellow flowers. Sepals are slightly pointed and petals are rounded. Flower count is low and arrangement is poor.'

Is this normal? Do you think this is the exception to the rule?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

merlie

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 03:47:55 »
LT,
That is the most gorgeous Tessa I have seen! I also don't agree with the Tiny Tim description saying it is prone to fungus and rot...mine certainly is not but other plants I have are! Remember the photo on the NACS homepage of Malcolm looking handsome in his suit and "Debutante" glowing with perfection on the left? The plant on the right is Tessa.
Marilyn

• Titanium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 07:00:20 »
Well, I suppose the fact that the posting of the Clivia Checklist and Register online has immediately provoked reaction proves it is long overdue. Its been out there for years, but in the beginning as a downloadable Excel spreadsheet, and more recently in hard print.
If you look at my other posting re photographs you will see that there is a form to be filled in.
http://www.cliviaforum.co.za/forum/index.php?topic=16390.msg113112;topicseen#msg113112
I am sure that Ken would welcome any additional information regarding any of the plants listed. And we'd all appreciate a full photo album.

merlie

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 20:52:35 »
The Clivia Register and Checklist has had many photos added since it first went online.  Thank you so much to everyone who has sent photos in. If you have photos that you have taken of any of the plants on the list and are willing to have them added, please send them to the Clivia Registrar, Ken Smith at cliviasmith@idx.com.au

Photos can only be accepted from the photographer, not anonymous photos or ones taken off the internet.
The rose register also has photos from multiple sources. I realize this is in contradiction to what I said earlier in this string but I am not the Registrar and I admit I was wrong. I did not see the big picture.

Why is it a good idea to have photos from multiple sources? An interesting case is Andrew Gibson. There are 3 photos there. 2 taken by me of the same plant in different years...and what a color difference! It is interesting to see the color differences in these Clivia chameleons and the range of what to expect. Here is the link again to see the Clivia Register:
http://www.northamericancliviasociety.org/clivia-register.php

There will soon be a new registration form  than can be submitted online to register Clivias. Please be patient. Every new task has a learning curve and this one is steeper than anticipated.
Happy growing,
Marilyn Paskert

• Titanium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2011, 19:33:04 »
I really want to thank Marilyn for her sterling efforts in getting the register online and all those that are making pictures available.
I makes a HUGE difference!!!
 :smile:  :smile:  :clap:

merlie

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2011, 19:50:14 »
Aw shucks Roger!
I want to thank everyone who sent in photos but especially Ken, he has been busy.
Here is one he added today, the beauty on the cover of the Clivia Society's Yearbook 11:
http://www.northamericancliviasociety.org/clivia-register.php?color=select&species=select&name=jade&breeder=&raiser=
Clivia mirabilis "Jadestone Angel"  :love1:

• Titanium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2011, 06:36:29 »
Isn't that a stunning collection of images!
I love the way the anthocyanin creeps in to make the halo glow.
And since there's a thread now running on interspecifics, think what a parent this will make?
Interesting that there is only one registered name C. mirabilis to date. I see 'Candy Carousel' still has formally to be registered.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias