Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Ndwedwe Pink Breeding  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Peter Miles

• Titanium Member
Ndwedwe Pink Breeding
« on: October 01, 2010, 11:14:20 »
I have a full head of Ndwedwe Pink Fantasy x Ndwedwe Pink Princess coming in to flower. It was beautiful last year and has a bigger head this year. The plant was acquired through the kind offices of Chris de Vry.
Has anyone got experience with breeding these plants? What should I cross the Ndwedwe Pink series of plants with to bring out more pink, maybe lighter pink? Are they related to Group 1 or Group 2, or neither?  
HELP!
Peter Miles
East London, South Africa
083 463 6229
petermalcommiles@gmail.com

CliviaMall

Offline Leisl

• Titanium Member
Re: Ndwedwe Pink Breeding
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 11:23:13 »
I hope that you are going to try your hand at posting a pic this year!!  How is your daughter supposed to admire your collection otherwise?
Leisl Brand
Somerset West, South Africa
072 222 6624
leislbrand@gmail.com

Offline Peter Miles

• Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 11:42:58 »
Leis,I will post later, took pics yesterday, now need to upload them and then post. Might take three weeks!
However, here is a pic of Ndwedwe Pink Fantasy, downloaded from the web, so grateful thanks to the photographer!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Peter Miles
083 463 6229

Offline Ken Rosling

• Gold Member
  • Sugar Baby
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:41:52 »
Peter, I think that Ndwedwe Pink Fantasy is one of Val Thurston's plants.  Why not contact her and enquire re the breeding of these plants, she may be able to help.
"Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend".

Waterfall : KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

Offline Peter Miles

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 14:31:33 »
Thanks, Ken, very good idea! Like all good ideas from other people, one usually asks "Now why didn't I think of that"!
I would also appreciate further dialogue from Forum members as well. I will let you know what Val's opinions are when/if I get them.
Peter Miles
083 463 6229

Offline Gideon Scheepers

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Family, Parrots, Clivias, Orchids and Motorcycles
    • My websites
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 20:44:01 »
Peter, I purchased a plant from Sean last year which is a cross between Ndwedwe Pink Fantasy  and Ngidi Pink Champagne

Ndwedwe Pink Fantasy

Ngidi Pink Champagne

Photos from Sean's site http://www.cliviasa.co.za/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=15&page=inline&id=141&catid=4&limitstart=72
Gideon Scheepers
www.cliviaforum.co.za
083 233 5144

Offline Felicity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 22:40:43 »
I think Val Thurston would be a good bet.  Sean Chubb as well.

Offline Maria

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 20:56:58 »
Peter...Any new infos about these that you acquired?
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

Offline Peter Miles

• Titanium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:39:05 »
Sorry Guys/Gals, it appears I dropped everyone on this thread by not replying, as I said I would. Thanks, Maria, for reminding me!

This is what Val wrote to me when I asked for info on these plants.

"Ndwedwe Pink Fantasy is a wild clone which has red seeds and was most probably pigmented as a seedling. I do not have a clone by the name Ndwedwe Pink Princess ? there is however a Rob Drake?s Pink Princess which belongs to a chap in the Kloof area. He got the plant from a roadside seller so we do not know exactly where it was bred or comes from. It also has red seeds and could have been either split for yellow or an orange that flowers with a pink colouration. I also think that Sean named one of his Wittig Pink F3 plants Pretty Pink Princess ? not sure about that -  assume that the original plant came from Sean Chubb who would have done this cross around 2006 ? You need to try and contact him to find out if he did in fact make this cross.

You can go one or both or all of three ways. Self some of the blooms, cross with Pink Fantasy the other third and the final blooms cross with Pink Princess. By doing this you will have covered all possible combinations without crossing out of the line ? which will work better than introducing another pink into the circle.

Pink Princess has the better flower shade with broader petals ? whereas Pink Fantasy has a large floret count ? so depending which way you want to go ? bigger petal size or more florets to the umbel ? the decision is a matter of what you fancy ? hence the suggestion that you split the umbel into three.

Can you send me a picture of the plant flowering ? so I can see which way the dominant features have come through in the crossing."

Herewith a pic of my Ndwedwe Pink Fantasy x Pink Princess

N Pink Fantasy

Rob Drake's Pink Princess

After seeing my NPF x PP, Val said it looked more like Pink Princess and it does. My NPF x PP is much pinker than the pic suggests.

I did not contact Sean about my plant, perhaps I should have, but will meet him later this year and will ask him then (if I remember!).

Any way, I went the pollinating way that Val suggested and the many seeds that set are about to be planted! Can someone remind me in 4 years time for an update??!!........ 

Hope this helps. Maria?
Peter Miles
083 463 6229

Offline Maria

• Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 09:55:19 »
Thank you so much Peter!

I was really looking for infos about this clivia that my friend has.
It is named as Ndwedwe Pink Princess.
Could it be Rob Drake's Pink Princess sibling then?
It gives out huge seeds!!!

We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

Offline Peter Miles

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 12:43:17 »
Val didn't know about a Ndwedwe Pink Princess. However, the pic you show here looks more like N Pink Fantasy than Rob Drake's Pink Princess, so maybe it does come from the Ndwedwe habitat.

I would suggest you self it to see what comes out in the next generation. I'll send you some pollen from NPF x PP when I send you the pollen we discussed, which you could use on it when it flowers again. Unfortunately, pollen from the seeds I have sent you of my crosses with NPF x PP will take another 4 years to bear fruit. Most frustrating!
Peter Miles
083 463 6229

Offline Sean Schickerling

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 23:49:06 »
Hi Peter
It's been over 4 years and with any luck you have flowered some seedlings?
Also did you end up speaking to Sean Chubb about your Ndwedwe Pink Fantasy x Pink Princess?

Regards
Sean Schickerling
Best Regards

Cheers
Sean Schickerling

Offline Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 07:15:07 »
Just meandering through older posts and came across this one.  I grew three plants to flowering of Ndwedwe Pink F1 x Ndwedwe Fantasy Pink Princess strain from seed sown in 2010 from Chris de Vry.  They are very vigorous and have large umbels of well shaped blooms but I wouldn't exactly call them pink, then again perhaps that is in the eye of the beholder.  They do get red berries, I haven't tried growing any on. It is stormy and the wind is strong at the moment so not venturing out under the trees to take a photo, think there is one still in bloom will try later on if things settle
South West of Western Australia

Offline Chris de Vry

• Sponsor
  • Gold Member
    • Vrijehof Clivias
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 20:30:01 »
Hi Peter

I obtained the plant I gave you and Leisl each, from Sean Chubb as seedlings. I have tried to line breed these plants but have stopped breeding them as the strain does not show improvement in flower quality and count. The strain’s colour is also not consistent light pink.

Hi Mary

I concur with your observation on the colour of the berries being red. Most, if not all, pink flowering mimiata plant’s berries are red or a ‘water melon’ colour.

Regards
Chris de Vry

"Our attitude determines our altitude in life."

Offline Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 03:01:41 »
At last the promised images of my Ndwedwe Pink F1 x Ndwedwe Fantasy Pink Princess strain.  They are beautiful but sadly not pink

South West of Western Australia

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart