Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017
Ads by ForumAds
Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: what is group3  (Read 8586 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
  • LiQiang
    • chineseclivia
what is group3
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:41:31 »
by many good post,i had unstands about what is group1,and group2.Benefitting greatly .
but,what is group3?
tks much.

CliviaMall

• Platinum Member
  • Summer 2009 Hortech
    • Flower Farm and Gardens Blog
Re: what is group3
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 04:56:25 »
Li Qiang I am familiar with both Group 1 and 2 plants but as far as I am aware the other plants have been categorized as unspecified.
Either belonging to or not yet known to be included in group 1 or 2 or being of their own distinct and unspecified genetic makeup.  If there is a group 3 it is news to me.
Flower Farm and Gardens Blog
http://flowerfarmandgardens.blogspot.com/

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

• Platinum Member
  • Summer 2009 Hortech
    • Flower Farm and Gardens Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 05:14:50 »
Of course I was speaking of Yellow Clivia when referring to group 1,2 and "other plants" in the previous entry :0)
Flower Farm and Gardens Blog
http://flowerfarmandgardens.blogspot.com/

• Titanium Member
  • LiQiang
    • chineseclivia
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:26:07 »
Tedd Gorman
tks for your post.I occasionally saw “yellow group3” such phrase in some post here.than asked that. maybe it is not exist:)

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

• Titanium Member
  • Dobermans, Clivia and Orchids
    • WoodsideCottageClivias
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 06:42:37 »
I think people who use the term "Group 3" are actually meaning yellows that do not belong to either Group 1 or Group 2.  As far as I know this is not an "official" designation.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the World" ~ Gandhi

• Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:01:28 »
I will be putting my"Mvuma Yellow" to both G1 & G2 as there is evidence that it doesn`t produce yellow with either...
This may be a Group 3 Yellow...Hugh W.
Hugh Williams
Buxus & Hedges
production nurseries
South Australia....

• Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 07:06:11 »
Hi Lionel, please ask Sean about breeding with "Mvuma Yellow".....Hugh W.
Hugh Williams
Buxus & Hedges
production nurseries
South Australia....

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 08:26:20 »
Humus,
          I removed my  post , because I want to hear what others have to say .
I will speak to him later.
That said,I have and will, always be cautious when speaking about the breeding habits of clivias.I just don`t have enough experience.
This should encourage the new members.
Clivia breeding is in its infancy wordwide.
There is a lot to be discovered.

• Platinum Member
  • The Harder you work the luckier you get
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:34:07 »
Well said Lionel.
There have been many explanations for characteristics , which have been later proved not to be correct.
As you have mentioned we are still only guessing at the possible outcomes of crosses.
So many plants, so many different genetic pools , so many 'impure' crosses. How can one be entirely sure of a plants genetic history ? We can't . The fields being investigated by Prof Spies and his/ other associates may bring some direction to this, to be able to prove a plants heritage. There are so many instances of people calling their plants 'by a particular' name when in fact the plant is a result of a cross of the original plant. If this has been the case how can we be sure and make such broad assumptions in this regard ?
We are constantly learning and will continue to do so.
Indeed we are in the very infancy of clivia breeding and genetics, and I for one look forward to the rest of my lifetime trying to understand it's intricacies.
Regards
Gary
Silver Ridge Clivias
Toowoomba
Queensland
Australia

silverridgeclivias@bigpond.com

• Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 13:31:19 »
At this link there is a slide show by Rudo Lotter where he describes some of the ways a yellow clivia can occur.  One of them is to have the ability to make a red pigment, but only haveing it present in miniscule amounts.  Such a situation would give a yellow which will not breed rue with either group 1 or group 2.

http://www.rudosclivias.co.za/images/Colour%20Breeding.swf
George Forsythe

Learn something new each day.  If you're not learning you're not living.

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 14:48:11 »
Sean has agreed to contribute to this post himself on wednesday.His computer is down.Otherwise he will e  mail me.

In a nutshell ,a group 3 yellow,when selfed or bred with another group 3.(these are all plants found in the wild near where we live ,about 15 km as the crow flies)will have red berries when the berries are ripe.
These seedlings will be pigmented,but will flower yellow.
I will leave the rest to Sean. It is very interesting.

Hugh ,"Mvuma Yellow" is it`s own group,but let `s wait for Sean.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 15:20:51 »
Lionel, I am totaly uninformed, when it comes to F's, and clivia genetics.
I did speak to a friend, Rodney Ellis, this morning, about three massive Albany Yellows he sold to me recently.
Rodney has been breeding from habitat clivia(originaly) for over 30 years, intensively, and he said my Albany's are a 7th generation pure yellow, for what that might mean to people who understand the genetics.
Thanks all for your contributions, so that us youngsters can learn. :good: :admire:
Unique Clivia's,
Pellissier,
Bloemfontein.
082 891 3966

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 15:58:08 »
Stef,
      Frankly,I rate the hybrids in my collection 1000 times more valuable than most of my habitat plants.

Let me see the flower without the name and I will tell you what I think of it.

A name is just that, a name!!!

I have been updating our website for our seedlist .Take a look at the hybrids that are coming out.
I have 2 plants ,first flower hybrids flowering now.They are gorgeous.

The future is bright for everyone involved with clivia breeding ,especially those starting out now!

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 18:23:09 »
Sorry Stef,
              I had to attend to something. Rodney`s "7th generation" statement is easy to understand, I think.
He is talking line breeding. He starts breeding with the plant 30 years ago.That is 1980. He selfs or crosses siblings.
1981 Reap and sow   ...3yrs to flower 1984   (F 1) offspring xparent or sibling cross.
1985   "       "    "           "    "     "     1988   (F 2)    '             '             '             .
1989   "       "     "          "    "     "     1992   (F 3)    "             "            "          "  .
1993   "       "     "          "    "     "     1996   (F 4)    "             "             "         "  .
1997   "       "     "          "    "     "     2000   (F 5)    "             "             "         "  .
2001   "       "     "          "    "     "     2004   (F 6)    "             "              "         "  .
2005   "       "     "          "    "     "     2008   (F 7)    

Please correct me If I have It wrong.
I have never met Rod Ellis but have heard that he is a real FUNDI.

Anyone else??

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 18:58:58 »
Hi Lionel,
Your explanation is very detailed. That is exactly the way I understand it too.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias